Monday, June 14, 2004

Wheelchairs

So, my grandmother finally caved and got a wheelchair. She has emphysema (but still smokes, while at the same time insisting she knows she shouldn't, but also insists that nicotine isn't addictive) and hasn't been able to walk hardly at all lately. I think my cousin's graduation from middle school finally did it. We just spent some time over there...she's not doing great, so Patrick's very worried.

The annoying thing is that now they will probably gripe about the people that aren't accomodating enough, even though not six months ago they would have said...well, the opposite.

Honestly, I don't get the big deal. Maybe it's because I teach a population of kids that includes lots of kids who use wheelchairs, but really, it's just another way to get from here to there. Yeah, it can be inconvenient...but so can not having a car....

In other news, I'm almost totally packed for PA tomorrow...my mom and Patrick are not, but oh well... I know at least one of the hotels offers free high-speed Internet (we stayed there for...my...grandpa's funeral, I think, 'cause it was cold out and Grandma's was in June) so I'll be in touch.

No comments: