Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Reading Comprehension

I did not watch the Oscars, mostly because I hadn't seen any of the nominated movies.  (Sad, I know, but when movies give you headaches, they're just not worth it.)

I do plan on seeing 10,000 B.C., 'cause it's by the guys who did Stargate and Independence Day.  Especially now that there are more trailers, and they are showing the pyramids.  I haven't made up my mind about the now-delayed Star Trek, and I'm sure I'll see The X-Files, but that'll probably be it until Half-Blood Prince comes out.

Anyhow, I did flip onto it in time to see the People We've Lost montage, and was interested to note that I recognized very few people this year -- probably because many people were behind-the-scenes folks.

I was a little taken aback when Roy Scheider was not shown, but, being a reasonable TiVo owner, I rewound to the beginning, intent to look for him.

And then I noticed that the montage was from January '07 to January '08.  Roy Scheider died in February.

So, I went, "Hmph," and went about life, figuring that he'd show up next year.

And then I read this, on imdb.com:
Some analysts were suggesting that in the haste to mount Sunday night's 80th Annual Academy Awards telecast following the writers' strike, the show's writers failed to research their material sufficiently. That might have accounted for the omission of some names from the annual list of the "departed." Several writers immediately noticed the fact that Roy Scheider, who died on Feb. 10, was overlooked, as was Brad Renfro who died on January 15. A spokeswoman for the Academy said that Scheider's death came too recently to be included and of Renfro, she said, "Unfortunately we cannot include everyone." (my emphasis)
Okay, the Brad Renfro thing...whatever.

But I find it very, very ironic that somebody complaining of "lack of research" didn't include in their own research...I dunno...watching the montage and reading the dates?

No comments: