Thursday, August 26, 2004

Gee, I Know More Than Tech Support

Good grief, that was unenlightening.

Keep in mind that everything was cut-and-pasted from tech support web pages on Earthlink, which I already read.

A summary:
  • "Try power cycling the modem." (Uh, done that about 500 times; tried a different modem, just to see if it was the modem. It's not.)
  • "Is it near any type of interference?" (Um, no, it's not -- and, besides, it was in the exact same place, in the exact same configuration when it was working. But just to be sure -- it's on the floor in the middle of my room, with a new Ethernet cable just to be sure.)
  • "Try putting it in bridged mode." (Oh, golly gee, it was, which is what I thought was the problem, so it's not now, but I'll put it back in bridged mode if you would like, and try connecting via the software.)
  • "We're sorry, we're experiencing technical difficulties in your area." (Uh, yeah, lady, except that according to Earthlink's website, the schedule downtime isn't until 2 AM tomorrow, and I've been having this problem for weeks.)
  • "Is there anything else we can help you with?" (Um...else...doesn't the definition of "else" mean that you have helped me with something? Let's reveiw here. Contacted tech support 'cause I had no DSL connection. I still have no DSL connection. Gee, I'd love for you to help me with something else.)
You know, when this happened once before, I spoke with a nice, helpful guy who understood that I do, in fact, know what I'm talking about, escalated the case for me right away, did some magic on his end, and voila.

Maybe he works Saturdays. :-(

No comments: