Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Day 1

As I told everyone who asked today (once I find a suitable answer to something, I tend to script...sorry), while this year's class does not quite evoke the relieved-and-blissful-sigh of last year, it also does not evoke the Oh My Frelling God What I Have I Done to Deserve This?!?!?! of the two years prior.

However...we will definitely have to work on proper "reading together" behavior. I am temporarily making News-2-You a small group activity to practice listening to each other read. The whole purpose of my whole group activities is to get them ready for middle school -- if they go to S., they will be expected to follow a rotating schedule within the SDC program just like all the other kids, and to attend to a lesson for 45 minutes. If they go to VV, they will be included in classes 45 minutes at a time.

Either way, they need to be able to sit quietly and attend for stretches of time. We will have to work on that.

Anyhow, E. was not in school today...she may be the tipping point, much as I love her, from "meh" to "aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!"

Either new Girl's IEP was a complete joke, or she suffers from new person anxiety to rival A's last year...she could barely read 10 words. Wow.

The adults were mostly okay -- I have to come up with an R. cheat sheet so people stop inadvertently reinforcing his...ahem...puberty-like behavior.

Of course, it was the first day, and there's a honeymoon and all that, so we'll see. As is my custom after the first day of school, I came home and crashed hard, then woke up and had some dinner. I'm now modifying News-2-You for next week...I'll have to do agenda books and journals tomorrow, because I have an IEP at 3:00 on Friday (yup, an IEP on the third day of school) to officially transfer A. to middle school.

So...in summation: the jury's still out. We shall see.

1 comment:

Lady Hermione said...

Yes the jury is still out. I am trying to stay positive, yet it is very difficult at the moment and it isnt related to not having enough people to cover the class. I am trying to laugh and laugh f indign the humor of the daily classroom activies, etc., eventually the men with white coats will take me way for a very nice vacation...