Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Whys and Wherefores

So, I won't bore everyone with Aide J's continuing drama other than to say: what happened to just being a grown-up, coming to work, and doing your job?  Le sigh.

PH's IEP is done.  I might have gone a little overboard -- I wrote eight goals!  One for reading sight words, one for reading comprehension, one for writing his signature, one for attempting to spell words with at least the first sound, one for adding and subtracting 2-digit numbers, one for not using the godawful baby voice (no, I didn't call it that), one for slowing down and taking his time to produce good finished work, and one for taking himself to the bathroom without prompts.

All of which he needs, but yikes. ;-)

I'm kinda sad, though, 'cause tomorrow's Teacher M's last day, and I have an IEP after school.  :-(

Meanwhile, the not-stumper of the day.

I mentioned earlier that Superhero was so jealous of Bulldozer that he couldn't see straight.  The thing is, Superhero sees what he thinks is Bulldozer getting lots of attention for obnoxious behavior (what Bulldozer is really getting, though, is work not going away, but if the adults in my room don't get that, I won't expect Superhero to).  So, Superhero has been thinking, "Hm.  Let's try that."

So, today, he did something like putting his hand on E's face and then tapped -- I kid you not, if I didn't know what Superhero's intention was, it looked like you'd tap a kid on the head -- Bulldozer on the head.

To which my slowly going insane Aide J pulled Mr. Attention Fiend over for a "Why, Superhero?  Tell me why you did that?  Why would you do that?  No, don't go, I want you to tell me why...."

There are two problems with this.  One is the obvious: you DON'T GIVE ATTENTION TO AN ATTENTION-SEEKING KID FOR INAPPROPRIATE BEHAVIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

And, two, he can't answer why about ANYthing that I've ever seen.  Like, the word's not in his vocabulary.  We actually had a question along those lines on our testing last year -- something like a kid sitting on the ground and an overturned bike, and he couldn't say why the kid was sad.

Ironic, considering my post yesterday about the meaning of "wherefore," though. ;-)

No comments: