Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Maturity

So, I'm driving Patrick back to the house after visiting grandma last night. My mom stayed there because grandpa was really freaked out (it's looking like it'll be sometime this week), so I took Patrick to dinner. He was really upset, saying he didn't want grandma to "go" -- she had been talking about how she was ready before she went to sleep.

We drove through McDonald's, and as we were turning up towards the house, out of the blue, he says, "Grandma was right."

"About what?" I asked. There's a strange resignation in his tone.

"I don't like seeing her like this. She should go." Now, he's sad and choked up when he says it, but he's utterly serious. He doesn't want her to suffer, and he is ready to let her go so that she doesn't have to.

This is my brother, ladies and gentlemen. Disabilities or not, let no one say he doesn't understand what's really important in life.

No comments: