Friday, June 15, 2007

A Bittersweet Day

Today my three sixth graders "culminated" (we're not allowed to call it "graduating"), marking the end of my 4th year of teaching.

Starting my first year, I had to come up with a way to keep kids straight, mostly for copying purposes.  I had to be able to go over quickly who was in my class, and who got which homework.

So I've always separated them, first by grade level, and then alphabetically by last name.  So, this year, it was M., E., A., R., A., E., J., R.

It's been E., J., R. for three years.

This is the first group of kids I've had since the first day of their fourth grade year; I, in fact, had J. for summer school before her fourth grade year.

Looking back over the pictures I took at the all school picnic, and today, something really hit home.

This is the nicest group of kids I have ever had.  They are kind to each other, supportive of each other, and a cohesive group.

So while it's exciting to move E., J., and R. off to bigger and better things (after summer school)...part of me is mourning for the chemistry we had this year.  And part of me is just sad that there will be no more E., J., R.

Maybe more later, but I'm -- in Britspeak 'cause I was just reading about the  Harry Potter movie -- knackered.

No comments: