Friday, August 17, 2007

The End of the Trip

So, the flight back was okay; I have pictures from the last two days but spent yesterday recovering with my feet up (for all the times I've flown, they've never swollen up like they did this time...I'm chalking it up to the climate).

Becasue a trip to Disney World can never be without drama, we had our share on day 7. It did not involve sunburns, nearly broken noses, or even lost strollers.

But it did involve what started as a temper tantrum.

Of course.

While he was pretty game to try most stuff at Disney World, Patrick balked at the American Adventure in Epcot (one of my favorite things to do, and the only attraction with its original song). As in, full on meltdown -- of the type that he hasn't had for about 5 years (the last one was when he ended up in the shower fully clothed because he refused to undress for his shower and didn't think I'd actually follow through on the threat that if he didn't undress he'd have to shower with his clothes on) and of the type he's never had in public.

So, our last night ended on a quite sour note. Neither my mom nor I felt like going back in one at a time to see the attraction (which, unfortunately, was very high on my list of things to do) so we trudged back to the hotel and tried to decide what to do about the next day.

I ended up saying I'd keep my promise to Patrick to take him to the Magic Kingdom one last time but that he wouldn't be allowed to ride up front in the monorail. We didn't have time for the train, so we rode the PeopleMov -- err, Tomorrowland Transit Authority -- and headed back to the hotel.

On the way, we stopped and upgraded our tickets to annual passes (the plan all along, actually, as we knew we'd never see everything we wanted to see, given Patrick's stamina issues -- the difference is, we'll be driving next year and probably stopping in Washington D.C., so that Patrick can see the Emergency! squad car they have on display at the Smithsonian) and headed out for a mostly uneventful flight back.

It didn't occur to me until later that Patrick was just following in his dad's footsteps. ;-)

So, now it's back to the grind of getting ready for the next school year. I've got a bunch of stuff ready but hadn't printed much because my inkjet printer went from mostly dead to all the way dead, but I found a good replacement.

Now if I could just remember what book of MeVille we'd decided I'd do....

Oh, and Cat -- I'll send you the full res version of the light house photo. You can use an online photo service like or to get a print or turn it into a poster.

No comments: